Thursday, October 29, 1998
1. Name, occupation, number of years in the city.
2. How much do you plan to raise and spend?
3. Should new development take place in Marina? Residential or commercial? Where should it be located?
4. How well is Marina handling the needs of its residential community? What if anything should the council do differently?
5. How well is Marina meeting the public safety needs of the community? What if anything should be done differently?
6. How well does the City Council function as a group? What would your presence add to group interactions?
7. Why are you the best candidate for this position?
Contract Specialist, Defense Language Institute
2. Raised: $7,898
3. I am for development that will add money to the city budget & enhance the community standard of living. Places for development are Ft. Ord, Reservation Rd, Del Monte Ave. & Hwy 1 corridor.
4. Marina is a community of caring citizens. The council can do more in utilizing this resource. One of my proposals would be to centralize & harness this resource by establishing a Volunteer Center.
5. Public safety is one of the biggest bargains the city could ever have. We have fire & police for the price of one. With the addition of Ft. Ord land, we should be aware of the needs of this department to enable it to function efficiently.
6. Marina's city council has always debated issues contestedly. My lines of communication are always open. On any issues, I would always try to remind everyone that foremost is the welfare of the residents.
7. I am a people person. We need someone who will stay in touch with the citizens & share their concerns. I would like Marina to be the best place to live, with a city hall that is responsive to the needs of its residents.
Howard Gustafson Jr.
Incumbent, Asst. Civil Engineer, MoCo Public Works
2. Raised: $2,082
3. Development should take place to offset costs of rec., safety & public works. Residential development will occur on Armstrong Ranch & former Ft Ord, key is lower densities. Commercial: At Armstrong Ranch, airport.
4. With current staffing, revenues, residents have enjoyed increased recreation, added officers to public safety & new road construction. As new enterprises develop, we will have revenue to expand rec. & public works.
5. Marina has 30 officers to cover an increasing sphere of influence. They are trained in medical response, fire & law enforcement. We need to add officers to help with increasing demand, with pay comparable to other cities.
6. Current council functions very well & has accomplished a great deal, which should be viewed as a real plus given complex issues over last 4 years. My presence will help to continue the work we on the council have begun.
7. We as a council have accomplished a great deal. I've worked hard to keep your interests at heart. I communicate with many citizens on a daily basis to hear your concerns. As a 40-year resident, I know our community.
Retired Army officer, community volunteer
4 years in the city's sphere of influence
2. Raised: $6,292
3. Yes, but it should be combined with city-centered growth & city infrastructure improvements. Continue development on the airport & focus new development on the former Ft. Ord initially, then Armstrong Ranch.
4. Very well for a small city in the midst of economic recovery. Public facilities are improving, bike paths added & a clean-up program started. Set priorities for infrastructure upgrades & capital expenditures.
5. Marina's public safety department was recognized as a model for combining law enforcement & fire protection. We are the 2nd safest city in the area. Increase compensation for officers. Hire unsworn personnel for administrative/station.
6. There have been problems in the past. I bring years of leadership experience, training & successful management based upon teamwork; a solution-oriented approach & a vision for the future rather than attachment to the past.
7. I have experience in community management & a proven record of accomplishment. I know the issues of the city & community at large. I can devote full-time to city business because I'm not otherwise employed.
Self-employed, Planning Commissioner
2. Raised: $1,585
3. Development will take place on the former Fort Ord and Armstrong Ranch. This will give Marina an opportunity to shape character, design of our city. General plan update is under way.
4. Meeting the needs of our residents is very difficult to do with the current budget. We need more commercial development to generate more funds. This will take some planning to attract the right businesses/residents.
5. Marina has a very good public safety record. Public safety has always been a priority for all of us. We intend to keep it that way. As Marina develops, we need to make sure our public safety service also grows.
6. I don't wish to comment on the differences among councilmembers. I would only like to say they all try to do what is best for our city and that is all that is important right now.
7. My experience on the Planning Commission along with my 28 years of residency in Marina make me sensitive to the needs of our city. My flexible schedule will allow me the time to devote to city affairs.