Thursday, December 30, 2004
10. The City spends approximately $10,000 per year to provide “Mutt Mitts” to pick up after your dog.
9. There is one art gallery for every 34 residents.
8. You need a special permit from the City Clerk to wear high heels in the city.
7. Carmel is 1.1 mile square and its commerical district is one acre; the beach is one mile in length.
6. The standard lot in Carmel-by-the-Sea is 4,000 sq. ft. on which you can build a maximum-sized home of 1,800 sq. ft., including the garage.
5. 1,200 people and foundations contributed $13.4 million to the renovation of the former Sunset School auditorium, now a regional center for the performing arts.
4. There can be no more than three bars in town and 15 food uses on Ocean Avenue.
3. The only resident buried within the city limits is Pal, the town dog, who is buried at the Forest Theater.
2. There can be no more than 32 jewelry stores in town.
1. The population is 4,081, but we have issued about 13,000 library cards.