Thursday, December 30, 2004
10. More grizzlies were killed this year than in previous years. This is a big problem for the bear population.
9. In meetings on opposite sides of the globe, two international bodies called for new measures to protect sharks and other marine species. In New Orleans, 63 countries, including the United States, agreed to ban shark finning in the Atlantic Ocean.
8. Scientists determined that the majority of the April sea otter deaths found around the Morro Bay/Pismo Beach area were associated with a brain parasite, Sarcocystis neurona, that is associated with the opossum.
7. Bush proposed removing federal protections for the gray wolf.
6. Bush dropped requirement that forests be managed to protect wildlife.
5. Federal Judge Thelton Henderson overturned efforts to weaken “dolphin safe” tuna label.
4. The last Po’ouli bird in Hawaii died.
3. Bush tried to expand the importation of endangered species and their body parts.
2. The Endangered Species Act came under attack on Capitol Hill (again).
1. Wolves in Alaska were decimated by aerial hunting.