Thursday, December 10, 2009
The U.S. House of Representatives passed the fiscal year 2010 Consolidated Appropriations Act today. With help from Rep. Sam Farr (D-Carmel), Central Coast projects got a boost from the funding bill.
Among the anti-violence beneficiaries:
- Silver Star Gang Prevention and Intervention Program: $1.5 million.
- Monterey County Joint Gang Task Force: $500,000.
- YWCA of Monterey County, for services to domestic violence victims and violence prevention programs: $250,000.
Local community groups were also slated for economic stimulus funds in the bill:
- Monterey County Food Bank: $150,000.
- San Benito County Food Bank: $150,000.
- Agriculture & Land-Based Training Association: $110,000.
- El Pajaro Community Development Corporation: $90,000.
Central Coast science and education project also got a piece of the pie:
- Marine Meteorology Center: $10.24 million.
- West Coast Governors’ Agreement on Ocean Health: $500,000.
- California Bay Watershed Education and Training (B-WET) Program: $2.5 million.
- Monterey Bay Sanctuary Scenic Trail: $800,000.
The U.S. Senate passed the bill Dec. 13.