Wednesday, November 3, 2010
Get used to the sound of it: Monterey County Sheriff Scott Miller, Seaside Mayor Felix Bachofner.
Now try Salinas Councilman Steve McShane and Councilwoman Kimbley Craig. Marina Councilwoman Nancy Amadeo and Councilman David Brown. Pacific Grove Councilman Rudy Fischer
All new names to local posts, as challengers knocked out incumbents across Monterey County in a local mirror to the national election in which incumbents fared badly and Republicans took over the U.S. House.
- Jerry Brown beat Meg Whitman for governor, 54 to 41 percent.
- Gavin Newsom trounced Abel Maldonado for the lieutenant guv's seat, 50 to 40 percent.
- Barbara Boxer handily won re-election to the U.S. Senate, pummeling GOP challenger Carly Fiorina.
- Voters snuffed out Prop. 19, which would have legalized recreational marijuana.
- The people also burned down Prop. 23, which would have suspended California's Global Warming Solutions Act.
- Californian nature-lovers will find no sanctuary in Prop. 21, a failed attempt to impose a vehicle license fee surcharge to support state parks.
Pick up the Weekly's Nov. 4 issue for on-the-scene reporting from local Election Night parties, edible exit polls and more.